Monday, April 6, 2015

#2- Academic Life.

We Actually Have to go to School?! 

I feel I am obligated this week to write about the Academic Life here at Palacky University in Olomouc. The reason I feel this way, is because I keep getting the typical, “do you do ANYTHING besides have fun there?” from anyone and everyone that I talk to at home! So, here’s your proof, people!
Let me start out first by saying how incredible it is to study in buildings built hundreds and hundreds of years ago! The architecture is fantastic, and the views are breathtaking. Some of the buildings, such as the library, dorms, and others were used in connection with the Communist troops in the past. Despite their prior use, the history and buildings themselves are so interesting.
Now about the classes (think topics such as: “CEEC’s and the EU: Economic Dimension”, “Europe’s Internal Borders”, and others like this). They are from 3 pm until about 7:30 pm 3 times a week. On Fridays, classes are from 10:30 am until 1 pm. We usually have an hour and a half lecture, followed by our “Intro to the Czech Language” class for forty-five minutes, and then another hour and a half lecture. Now, I am an education and special education major at UNK. Anyone and everyone can tell you that they are very hands-on classes, there’s not much sitting down, and there are lots of discussions that take place. The dynamic is very different here though, in that a standard class is just a lecture. The professor stands at the front of the room and lectures to the students who take notes, no discussion and no hands-on work. Additionally, I really do not know much about politics or economics, so while I am thankful I’m learning something about these topics, I do which I knew more so I could understand better in class. However, I have found that when I take notes, I am learning so much and I do get interested in the topics!
There you have it mom, I am going to class and learning something! I am so thankful to be here and be able to go to school at Palacky University. It is an incredible experience that I could not find anywhere else!


Univerzita Palackého v Olomouci 
One of the buildings at our school!

Hanging out in the courtyard before class started in the first week.



No comments:

Post a Comment