Monday, April 20, 2015

#10) Personal Excursions: Spring Break

Little Bit'a Italy...
Venice --> Cinque Terre --> Pisa --> Florence --> Rome
There are so many words I could use to sum up this last week that I spent on Spring Break in Italy, but I think I will stick with "amazingly overwhelming". That works, right? We spent our time from Saturday, April 11th through Sunday, April 19th exploring everything Italy had to offer us and I must say, we were never in one spot for long! For an overview, we started out in Venice, then headed to Cinque Terre, next Pisa and Florence, then finished it off with Rome! Phew. Our activities ranged from swimming in the ocean and tanning on the beach, to hiking, to trying some new food, to touring historical sites, and to seeing some amazing buildings, sunsets, and other things! Here are my feelings and thoughts about my past week:

1) We've got it pretty good in the Czech, and even better in the US!

  • My first realization of this was when I sat down for lunch, ordered a glass of water and a pizza. The pizza was great (its Italy!) and the water was nice, but when I got my ticket, my heart nearly stopped! This very average and typical lunch cost me 16 euros! That's more than $17. Things like a "sitting fee" and actually paying for water start to add up! I realize that paying for water in Europe is standard, even in the Czech, but it never gets easier forking over 3 dollars for a bottle of water that's for sure! 
  • The city (city transportation, bathrooms, etc.) systems are gross. The public bathrooms (that you have to pay for might I add) look like a gorilla was in there, smashing things, throwing it's waste around, and leaving trash everywhere. Busses are crammed, and so hot. And I have yet to find a water fountain! However, it is super convenient that you can get from one side of the city to another without having to drive a car, by using trams and busses. 
2) History is really, really cool.
  • It is still so strange for me, to grasp what I'm seeing every day. The Coliseum, Vatican, Leaning Tower...I'm waking up in cities where these things are. The craziest part was learning the significance of these buildings and monuments and the role they played in the history of our world. I just kept thinking to myself...."I am walking where someone died. I am laying on a patch of grass that someone probably laid on 500 years ago. Etc. Etc.". Doesn't that blow your mind? It continues to blow mine. I am in pure amazement and I have loved every single second of soaking up the views, history, and architecture of Italy!
3) I have met some amazing people.
  • I got to spend the week with 5 other students, who have taught me so much. Not only have I grown as a person but I have learned so much about other people as well. I have become so close with what seems like every person on our study abroad trip, and even closer with those I spent spring break with! We spent every moment planning, traveling, stressing, and having fun together! This experience has made me a more tolerable and open person and I think it will be absolutely helpful in my professional and personal future.
As you can see, spring break wasn't all fun and games for us, we learned quite a bit too! I absolutely loved our trip and I would recommend Italy to anyone. My favorite part was probably Cinque Terre and getting to spend time on the beach! However, I do enjoy getting to tour historical sites as well, so it was an all around life changing and amazing experience. These moments are near and dear to me, and I treasure my time here in Europe. I can't wait to see what the next 5 weeks have in store!

The Vatican!

Holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa :)

The Coliseum!

No comments:

Post a Comment